The Waste of a Good Chocolate Cream Pie?

For those of you who know me well, you would know that given the choice between a slice of cake or a piece of pie, I would choose the pie nine times out of ten. I enjoy pie so much ... that when my birthday rolls around each year, my wife never asks me about a birthday cake ... she asks me what kind of birthday pie I would like. About the only two kinds of pie that I have met and have not thoroughly enjoyed are rhubarb and shoo-fly.

This past Saturday we conducted our annual auction to benefit our Student Ministries trip to Momentum (a large annual youth conference to be held this coming July on the campus of University of Pittsburgh, Johnstown campus). The day was a huge success. I was very much enjoying the day .... talking with people, bidding on a few items (toys for grandkids and yard help from one of the teens). We had just passed into the lunch hour and baked goods were being offered for bid. Someone suggested that a lemon pie that was being auctioned be sold with the intent of the youth director receiving it full in the face ... which was something he was more than willing to do. That pie went for somewhere around $35. Shortly thereafter, a chocolate cream pie came up for bid. Someone offered $100 for me to receive this pie just has our youth director had received his lemon pie. Of course, the auctioneer accepted the bid ... and the fun began ... for all except for me! Now I guess I could have declined. But if I had, I would have been perceived as not being a team player. So, I took a deep breath ... and walked to the front to "take one for the gipper!"- which I received not full in the face ... but on the top of my head.  The picture below shows the end result.



Now I must admit that for the first few seconds after hearing what was on tap for me ... I was a bit reluctant. But that passed quickly. After all, the cause was a good one ... a worthy one ... for that $100 would go toward investing in the life of some teen, encouraging him or her in their walk with God. This leads me to some questions for you to ponder: What are you doing to intentionally invest in the lives of our younger generations? Are you praying for them? Investing financially in ministries designed to grow them in Christ? Volunteering your time to serve them in some way? Striving to be a godly example before them? Jesus Christ had a real heart for children (Mark 10:13-16). How about YOU?

Thanks for stopping by . . .

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...