Thank God He Never Sleeps OTJ (on the job)!

Back in the days when I attended college, a student with a little bit of financial aid a a lot of hard work could pretty much pay for his education. So during my four years of college, I usually had two jobs ... one on campus and one off. My on campus job remained the same all four years. I worked on the college security force. During my first two years I worked the graveyard shift (i.e. from 1:30 to 5:30 AM). Every hour I was required to tour the building, which took approximately 20 minutes. This was a good thing as it gave me about 40 minutes each hour to sit and study or read. However, I must admit that there were some nights that more dozing went on than actual studying! Fighting to stay awake at times took all the effort I could muster up ... which wasn't much some nights!

Just as I was hired by the college to "watch over" the campus while most everyone else was asleep, so God promises to watch over us! For example, in Psalm 145:20 we are told that "The LORD watches over all who love him." And in Matthew 10:29 Jesus reminds us that not even a sparrow is outside the watchful eye of our loving God. But unlike me ... who at times was on the verge of falling asleep on my watch (and actually did for a few minutes here and there) - we never have to fear that God will do so. Here is how the writer of Psalm 121 put it:

" He will not let your foot slip—he who watches over you will not slumber; indeed, he who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep." (vv.3-4)

I don't know about you, but I am encouraged to know that the God who loved me enough to send His one and only Son to die to pay the penalty for my sin ... that such a God ALWAYS has His watchful eye upon me!  Given this reality, why do I ever worry?  Hmm. That's something I need to think more on!

Thanks for stopping by . . .

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...