Mother's Day is Coming!

When I was a youngster, I remembering asking my mom one Mother's Day, "Mom, you have Mother's Day and Dad has Father's Day, when is Children's Day?" She looked at me with a twinkle in her eye and said, "John, everyday is Children's Day!" (I am guessing many of you probably heard something very similar to that. Of course, I did not buy it then. But now, after raising three children I would have to say that my mom was a very wise woman!).

Mother's Day wasn't always observed. It was first declared a holiday by the state of West Virginia in 1910. Four years later, Congress passed a law designating the second Sunday in May as Mother's Day. Ever since, the day has grown in importance and significance. According to the National Restaurant Association, Mother's Day is now the most popular day of the year for dining out. Add to this the billions of dollars that Americans spend on flowers, gifts and greeting cards and one can easily see that the observance of Mother's Day has made prime time!

God tells us that when it comes to our moms, we must honor them. In fact, this command to honor our parents is one of the Ten Commandments, and it is the ONLY one that comes with a promise (see Exodus 20:12). So God means business when it comes to how we treat our mothers! And note that his command to honor does not add the qualifier, "if they are worthy of honor." There is something powerful that happens in the family dynamic when children honor their parents!

So, use this Mother's Day as a reminder of how EVERYDAY you are to treat your mother (and/or your wife as the mother of  your children). Honor her. Esteem her. Give her some love.

Now I must run ... as I just remembered I should go buy my wife a card. She's been a wonderful mother to our children (and now a grandmother to our grandkids!).  To all you moms out there ... Happy Mother's Day! I thank God for you! (and if you want to view a humorous, though often true video of motherhood, check this out!)

Thanks for stopping by . . .

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...