My Two Cents on Mowing the Lawn!

I posted these thoughts back on September 22, 2006. Thought I would revisit them ... been a bit busy the past few days! 

Did you ever wonder where the expression “to offer one’s two cents worth” came from? I did some research, and there are two dominant theories. The first dates back to the years 1883 – 1932.  During this time, a first class stamp cost two cents (Can you believe it? No price increases for almost 40 years!  You talk about “the good old days!”). So if a person wrote a letter to the editor to express his or her opinion it would cost two cents to do so. Hence he was offering his two cents! The other theory states that the expression “two cents worth” arose to simply mean “of little worth.” When a writer stated he was offering his two cents it was his humble way of saying what he had to offer might not be all that valuable a contribution. So bottom line – you can take your pick.  Either one makes “cents” to me!  

This is basically what I do on my blog - offer you my two cents on some random topics. It may not be worth a whole lot – but I hope I get you to think.Today consider mowing the lawn. If you have ever had the pleasure of keeping up with growing grass (it is amazing how FAST grass can grow!), you know that no sooner do you get it cut, you are back at it again!  It grows, we cut it back. It grows more. We cut it back. It grows again. We cut it back. Sometimes I wish I could buy a spray that would keep my grass at the perfect height!  But cutting the lawn is just part of the package of home ownership. So instead of griping about cutting the lawn again (and again and again) – we should be filled with gratitude for a number of things. Such as having a lawn to mow (lots of people don’t) and being blessed with the good health to push a mower (not everyone can) – just for starters. You see, all too often we grip and complain when in reality we should be giving thanks to the One who blesses us with every good gift. And that’s my two cents!

Thanks for stopping by . . .

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...