Birds of a Feather - Flock Together!

This morning as I was preparing my morning coffee, I heard what sounded like a whole lot of birds chirping away. So I stuck my head out my front door and sure enough ... the sky above was black with black birds ... chirping and flying to who knows where. And they just kept coming and coming and coming. There must have been a couple thousand of these birds. And from the best I could tell ... they were all starlings.

As I thought of this ... I thought of the old expression, "Birds of a feather, flock together." I did some research and found that the origin of this phrase dates back to the 1500's.  The saying simply means that those of similar taste tend to congregate together. This is not only true of birds, it's true of us humans, too. We tend to hang out with those that have the same likes (or dislikes) as we do. Case in point ... I don't hang out with people who like to do scrap booking - because that is something that is not on my radar screen of "likes."  But invite me to watch a football game with the guys and I am there (unless it's the New England Patriots!).

SOOO ... who are the people that you tend to associate with? This is a more important question than you might think. In a number of places, Scripture gives us guidance on the type of people we should be hanging with (Proverbs 13:20; 22:24-25; 1 Corinthians 15:33). You want to be wise? - spend time with wise people. You want to be gracious? - spend time with gracious people. You want to become more like Christ? - then look for people who exemplify him and seek to spend some time with them. Remember ... "as iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another" (Proverbs 27:17).

Thanks for stopping by . . .
pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...