So What Are You Advertising?

Recently, a Lancaster man was arrested on the suspicion of breaking into and burglarizing a local bowling alley. Now I am not sure of the evidence which pointed police in this man's direction, but I did hear of some evidence that appears to confirm his guilt. When arrested, the suspect was wearing a brand new sweatshirt ... bearing the name of the bowling establishment! Put that together with the fact that at least one such sweatshirt was listed among the stolen goods ... and voila! Nothing like advertising your guilt!

We as Christ followers can learn something from this. Really, John? Yep! Like this alleged burglar, we also need to be involved in advertising ... not our guilt but rather God's grace. What I am referring to is the gospel of course. This gospel is the GOOD NEWS that God so loved me (in spite of who I was ... a rebel who wanted absolutely nothing to do with HIM) that He gave His one and only Son (John 3:16). His Son humbled Himself, came to this earth as one of us and eventually died a violent death on the cross (Philippians 2:5-8). And why did Jesus Christ do this? In order to face a righteous God's wrath against our sin so that we would never have to do so! (Romans 5:9; 1 Thessalonians 1:10)  As a result we can enjoy a relationship with the Living God! (1 Peter 3:18; John 17:3). 

So .... my question for all of us this morning is this: "What is it that we are advertising in our lives?" I hope and pray that increasingly the answer to that question will be "The gospel of Jesus Christ!" 

Thanks for stopping by . . . 
pj 

2 comments:

Day-Dreaming Optimist said...

I can't believe that he was wearing the sweatshirt! Goodness. At any rate, I enjoyed this post because you brought up a good point - am I advertising guilt or am I advertising God's grace? It is making me think. As always, thank you for your words that make me think ;)

jsmith@gracewv.org said...

Thanks, Day-Dreamin' Optimist!!! I am grateful for your response!

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...