My New Year Resolutions

New Year resolutions often get a bad rap. Why? Because as most of you know (and have probably experienced) ... most New Year resolutions are forgotten by Valentine's Day (if not before!). Since our track record of keeping such resolutions is poor ... we simply don't make them. Ahh ... the path toward guilt-free living!

I believe this is rather unfortunate. I believe the making of resolutions can be an effective practice that God uses in our lives to move us further down the road in our journey of grace. I am convinced that one reason Jonathan Edwards has left such a mark upon the Church was his practice of keeping an ongoing set of resolutions. These resolutions served to keep him spiritually "on track" in the midst of his pressing ministry obligations. I believe the making and keeping (at least trying to keep :)) of resolutions will do the same for us.

Last year I put together a list of resolutions for 2011. Some I kept ... others, well .... But I am determined to once again put together a list of resolutions for this new year of 2012. And I will strive, with God's help, to keep them. Even if I don't do all I set out to do ... even if I were to accomplish just one quarter of my goals - wouldn't I still be further down the road than if I had not made any resolutions at all?  The answer to that question, my friend is obvious.

Here is my list - please pray that I will ... by God's grace and for His glory ... keep them as best as I can!


My Resolutions for 2012


To be read twice each week.

1. I resolve to seek God in all of life, realizing that only in Him will I find the fullness of joy.

2. I resolve to immerse myself in Scripture, knowing that the Word of God is the only reliable foundation for life.

3. I resolve to pray better and to pray more.

4. I resolve to better shepherd my children and grandchildren in their own personal faith journeys.

5. I resolve to better love my wife, seeking to imitate the example of Christ’s love for his bride, the Church.

6. I resolve to be more intentional in sharing my faith.

7. I resolve to renew my commitment as a member of the elder team to shepherd our church family with integrity of heart and skillful hands. I resolve to engage in those things that will move me in that direction.

8. I resolve to better care for my body, knowing that as a follower of Christ my body is the temple of the Holy Spirit.

9. I resolve to do my utmost to keep the above resolutions all by God’s grace and for His glory

Thanks for stopping by . . . 
pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...