A Thought for You as I Reflect on Joe Paterno

Ever since I can remember, I have followed Penn State football. And ever since I can remember, Joe Paterno was the coach .... that is until a Pennsylvania grand jury report became public (this report detailed a number of alleged instances of child sexual abuse committed by former coach Jerry Sandusky). From that report, it became evident that when JoePa became aware of an allegation against Sandusky, although he did what was legally required, he in all likelihood did not do what was morally required. I am referring to his failure to follow up the accusation of alleged child molestation by Sandusky. Paterno did report to his boss what graduate assistant coach, Mike McQueary had told him about what he witnessed concerning Sandusky and a young boy in the showers. But he failed to follow up with his boss or anyone for that matter. In his own words of regret, Paterno said in his last interview (just two weeks ago), "I wish I would have done more."  As a result of this failure, Paterno was abruptly fired by the university's board of trustees.

I wonder how many of us will utter those same words when we get to the end of our lives. As we contemplate our mortality ... as we prepare to leave this life and enter the next ... as we look toward standing before God Almighty and giving an account of our lives (2 Corinthians 5:10) ... will we also speak these words?  "I wish I had done more showing my children how to love God." "I wish I had been a better witness for Christ at my workplace ... school ... neighborhood ... among my extended family."  "I wish I had given more of my financial resources to the work of God's kingdom." "I wish I had spent more time praying."  "I wish .... I wish .... I wish ..."

As we reflect on Joe Paterno and the great, yet tarnished legacy that he leaves behind, let's learn from what may be his darkest hour. Let's determine not to leave undone what we know we should be doing (James 4:17)!

Thanks for stopping by . . .
pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...