Stretch Your Mind!

The other day while driving my 2 1/2 year old granddaughter from her house to mine, she looked out the window of the car and said, "Papa, that's right and that's left."  Funny thing is ... as I looked in the rear view mirror she got it right ... correct that is! At that point I am thinking, "Man, I did not get my right and left sorted out until I was in 8th grade (OK .. a bit of an exaggeration there, but I am sure it was Kindergarten before I got these most basic of directions down!). I am also thinking ... "No way does she really get this!" So once back to the house I put her to the test. "Ella, raise your right hand." Without blinking an eye she raised her right hand. "Now, Ella, raise your left hand." Immediately she threw up her left. Wow! She does have it down (and I have tested her a couple of other times ... always with the same correct response.).

I must say that one of the aspects of grandparenting that I have enjoyed most is watching my grandkids learn new things ... whether it's learning to crawl or walk or speak (or in this case, learning right from left.) Little children are like a sponge when it comes to learning. And that it is a good thing. But it saddens me to think that as we grow into adulthood, that so many of us lose that "sponge-like" quality. The desire to learn begins to fade. We become content with the status quo. We shift our minds into neutral.

Friends, take a look at where you are right now in life. Don't be content with the status quo when it comes to your mind. Seek to stretch it. Work it out. The Bible has a lot to say about our minds (see Matthew 22:37; Romans 12:2). Let's not be guilty of "dumbing down" our minds. Rather let's seek to grow in a deeper understanding of God and our world.

What are you doing to enrich your mind?

Thanks for stopping by . . .
pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...