Friday Coffee with PJ


Thoughts from here and there for you to enjoy with your coffee . . .

1. I just read yesterday that tea consumption in the U.S. continues to climb while the intake of coffee is declining. Even with this drop, coffee is still by far the king among these two. In 2009, annual per-person coffee consumption came in at 23.3 gallons (Wow! I must drink that much in a month!), while tea came in at a per-person rate of 9 gallons. So although the gap between them is shrinking, it is still significant. What is driving the switch to tea? Apparently recent studies promoting the health benefits of drinking tea are fueling the increase. These studies suggest that drinking tea helps prevent cardiovascular disease, burn calories and ward off some types of cancer (That's good to know ... because I consume a lot of iced tea during the summer months!). But studies have also shown that there are benefits to drinking coffee (in moderation, of course) ... such as helping protect against diabetes, Parkinson's disease and prostate cancer. So ... it appears you can't go wrong with either choice. But if you are really tired ... you just might want to go with a hot cup of joe. It' got about twice (or more) the caffeine content. And frankly, there are some mornings I need that kind of a wake up call! 

2. I recently picked up a small paperback book at Berean Christian Bookstore. Its title caught my eye and I thought I would find it helpful. And it was priced so low that I bought a few copies to give away. The book's title is 199 Favorite Bible Verses for Leaders. These verses are grouped into 20 different categories. I have begun reading a different group each day, praying as I go. The book also contains some quotes from some well known people from here and there. Introducing the category on Integrity is a quote from Robert E. Lee, the well known general of the Army of Northern Virginia during the Civil War. He writes, "You must be careful where you walk, and where you go, for there are those following you who will set their feet where yours are set."  Well said, General Lee! 

3. Several times in Scripture we are commanded to "humble ourselves" (James 4:10, 1 Peter 5:6). I can't speak for you, but I find Scriptures that command us to do this, tough to put into practice. For starters, how do you know if you are obedient? Humility is one of those virtues that when you think you have it, you probably don't. In addition, there is so much misunderstanding on how we attain humility (belittling ourselves for example) that we often don't know where to begin. SO ... let me give you one thought to chew on ... and I do believe this is the key toward genuine humility. When we have a HIGH view of God (i.e. - we see God as the majestic, glorious all awesome God that he is) ... then we will tend to have a RIGHT view of ourselves. We will understand that before God and apart from God we are nothing. And friends, that will move you toward humility (and will cause you to rejoice in HIS grace!). 

Thanks for stopping by . . . 
pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...