Who Do You Trust?

A recent Gallup poll asked Americans to rate the "honesty and ethical standards" of 22 different professions. Nurses came out on top with 85% of respondents giving them a "very high/high" rating. Pharmacists came in second with a 75% rating. I can't say that I would disagree with those high marks for those two professions. But what bothered me is that my "profession" (and I put that in quotation marks because I do not believe God calls pastors to be "professionals!") came in #8 on the list with 52% of Americans saying members of the clergy were "highly honest."

Now this bothered me because I happen to believe pastors should be marked by a clear demonstration of honesty and integrity. But alas, we do often fall short (I said "we" because I am not beyond failure in this arena). Pastors have feet of clay and therefore, make unfortunate and often sinful choices and decisions. I also believe that pastors have a huge target on their backs placed there by the Enemy himself, for as the Scripture says, "strike the shepherd and the sheep will scatter" (Mark 14:27). How often has a pastor "fallen from grace" which, in turn, has negatively impacted his church? Far too often! Yet ... for every pastor that has fallen, many more do remain faithful. I believe a huge factor in the faithfulness of pastors is the prayers of those within their churches who are regularly praying for them.

I know for I have many who tell me, "Pastor John, I want you to know that I pray for you every day!" So let me go on record to say to all who pray for me (and other pastors, too) - THANK YOU for making that effort. And PLEASE don't stop! God is working in my life through your prayers!  And at the end of the day ... I want to be a pastor who can be trusted!

Thanks for stopping by . . .
pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...