Friday Coffee with PJ

Grab your cup of morning coffee, or if you must, tea (and on this frigid morning why would you not want to be drinking something hot?), and take a moment to join me for a couple of random thoughts.

1. If you are anything like me, you are really (and I mean REALLY) hungering for spring! Yesterday, just to get my thoughts off of this brutal, never-ending winter weather, I changed the photo on my smartphone's lock screen. Now when I pick up my phone and turn it on, there before me is a picture of me holding a nice size bass that I had caught fishing a private pond down in Virginia ... last April, I believe. Ahh ... April is indeed just around the corner! As I thought about how anxious I am to experience the warm, gentle breezes of spring, I got to thinking: Am I as anxious to experience the awesome presence of God in my life? Am I hungering for God as much as I am longing for spring? That's something all of us should spend some time reflecting on. And if we find our appetite for God somewhat wanting ... it may be that we are doing things that are robbing us of an appetite for him.

2. I was privileged to eavesdrop on a conversation the other day between my almost five year old granddaughter and my 3 1/2 year old grandson. It went something like this:

Jack: "Elwa. Do you have twains at your house?"
Ella: "No. We have cars but we don't have any trains."
Jack: "But why do  you have cars and no twains?"
Ella: "I don't know. But we could go and buy some trains."
Jack: "Well, there are twains upstairs."

Jack just loves trains. He loves to read books about trains, play with his toy trains, watch dvds about trains. I guess you could say that he has a "one track mind!" That's something we who have chosen to follow Christ could use: a one track mind. A mind that seeks one thing in life ... to bring glory and honor to the God who made us, the God who saved us, and the God who day in and day out keeps us. Seeking him above all else is something for which we all must strive to do (Psalm 27:4; Matthew 6:33).

Thanks for stopping by . . . and have a great weekend! Looking forward to seeing you who call Grace Church your family on Sunday (that is, if I don't see you first at our Student Ministries Auction on Saturday morning!).

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...