Don't Bash ... Do Pray!

When our president's decisions, as the one yesterday which resulted in the freeing of five "hardest of the hardcore" (John McCain's words) Taliban prisoners, it is easy to begin "Obama bashing!" Now by this I am not referring to the asking of legitimate questions in a civil manner. No. Bashing goes way beyond this. Bashing involves name calling, character assassination and more! Is this an appropriate response to for a Christ follower ... no matter how wrong we might believe his decisions to be?

God gives the answer to this question in his Word, and it is found in 1 Timothy 2:1-2: God calls us to pray for those in authority (which obviously would include our president). So as Christians who desire to put into practice God's Word, let's put off the bashing and put on praying in its place. Yes ... continue to engage in the political discussion. Weigh in with your disagreement (and the reasons for it). But as you do so ... please don't forget to pray! As the book of Proverbs reminds us, God can even change the hearts of kings (Proverbs 21:1)!

Yesterday I came close to crossing the line (and perhaps did) in bashing the president. At the very least I failed to pray for him. I apologize. Today, I have renewed a commitment to pray each day for President Obama. Will you join me?

Thanks for stopping by . . .
pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...