Stressed Out?


The first workshop I attended yesterday was titled, "Stress Management." Sure enough, the instructor faced stress right off the bat. For ten minutes he struggled to get his laptop computer to communicate with the projector. He asked for help from the group and one tech savvy chaplain got up and after a few additional minutes,resolved the problem and off we went. That reminded me of Murphy's Law #43 which states, "No matter how well prepared we are - the 'unprepared for' will inevitably show up!" And when this happens, we feel STRESS! So I thought it was somewhat humorous that at the beginning of a workshop on managing stress, we got to see first hand how the instructor dealt with stress (and I would have to say he handled it very well!).

I wish I could say that I always, or even usually, handle stress well. But often I do not. I get worked up, overly anxious, grumpy, mad and, well, I think you get the picture (and it's not pretty!). So how should we deal with stressful life circumstances that crash into our lives, often unexpected and always unwelcome? The Apostle Paul gives some helpful insight. In Philippians 4:6-7 he writes, "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." There it is my friend. You want to be able to effectively defuse stress in your life --- then take the situations, circumstances, people who are causing you stress and give them all to God. His shoulders are broad (much, much broader than ours) and HE can carry the heaviest of loads (and never grow weary!). When we stop pray (with an attitude of gratitude thrown in) -- Paul says that we will know peace! Now there's a prescription for stress relief!

Thanks for listening,

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...