Things Aren't Always the Way they Seem!

For retired school teacher Henry Benner, it was just a routine errand. Transport the life-sized dummy of a young girl over to the Hans Herr House in West Lampeter Township (the figure had been donated to the Hans Herr House by the former Dutch Wonderland wax museum which shut its doors last year). So Henry wrapped the figure in a blanket and placed it in the trunk of his car. What he did not for see was the startled response of a passing motorist. This particular motorist thought Henry was placing the body of a real child in the trunk of his car. So the motorist dialed 911 to report that an "older white male" was seen placing a "child wrapped in a blanket" into the trunk of his car. The motorist was just being a good citizen. And can you blame him/her? After what has transpired here in Lancaster County across the past 18 months or so, you and I would have probably done the same! As East Lampeter police followed up the report, the truth came out and Henry? Well Henry just chuckled. The New Era quotes him as saying, "I think it's hilarious. I'm an old, retired bachelor." The moral of this story - things aren't always the way they seem!

We all need to keep this in mind. Ingrained deeply into human nature (and I should qualify by adding the word "fallen" and say "fallen human nature"), is this tendency to jump to conclusions. To make hasty judgments. To find a person guilty before even hearing the evidence. Yep. I just described me! And if you are honest, I also just described you! So what can we do about this tendency? How can we fight it? Let me suggest you practice what is called "The Judgement of Charity." This is the practice of simply giving another the benefit of the doubt. What might seem like a comment that was intended to hurt you - might have simply been someone putting their mouth in gear before their brain (there I go again, describing me!). Or maybe they are going through a brutally awful day. So instead of growing bitter because you think someone is out to destroy you - give them the benefit of the doubt. Because things aren't always the way they seem!

Thanks for listening,

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...