A Lesson I Learned 21 Years Ago - and Am Still Learning!

This morning I picked up a journal that I was keeping way back in 1987. At that time, I was pastoring in the Pittsburgh area. Sharon and I had been married for 9 years. Our daughter, Emily was 8, our son, Tim was 5 and our youngest, Kate was 3.

As I browsed through the journal, I read the following entry from July 10th:

"Last night - fishing with Tim (now remember, he is five!) I saw how selfish I can be. He got his line caught in a tree, on branches in the water, tangled in his reel -- he needed bait, etc. I was getting frustrated!!! But then the thought struck me - I was there to SERVE him and how is he ever going to learn to fish if I never take the time to teach him? So I learned some hard lessons about myself and I trust I will profit from them." (Written Friday, July 10, 1987)

Hmm. That was a lesson I needed to learn then -- and one I need reminded of again 21 years later! Life is NOT about me -- I am here to serve God and others! (Thanks, God for this timely reminder!)

Thanks for stopping by . . .

pj
PS - And please - No emails asking what happened to all the hair I once had!!

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...