Oh Boy! It's My Day for My Annual Physical!

This morning I head to see my doctor for my annual physical exam. Just want I want to do!  I hate all the prodding, the blood drawing, and those downright personal questions he asks! But I put up with it. In fact, the doctor doesn't force me to come in. Nope! No phone calls or postcard reminders. I just go. Why? Well apart from the fact that my wife insists on it ... I go because I know it is in my best interest to do so. A lot can go wrong with our bodies (and the older I get the more I realize the truth of that statement!). So once a year is not too often to have an expert check my body out.

What is needed in the physical realm is also needed in the spiritual realm. Our souls can get weary. Our hearts distracted. Our minds out of focus. So from time to time it's a good idea for us to pause and examine ourselves. And I think we need to do this more than merely once a year!

A helpful tool that is quite helpful in this process of self examination is Donald Whitney's book, Ten Questions to Diagnose Your Spiritual Health. These questions are quite penetrating and cut to the heart of our spiritual lives. Here are his ten questions. For an in depth treatment of these, I heartily recommend his book.

1. Do you thirst for God?
2. Are you governed increasingly by God's Word?
3. Are you more loving?
4. Are you more sensitive to God's presence?
5. Do you have a growing concern for the spiritual and temporal needs of others?
6. Do you delight in the bride of Christ?
7. Are the spiritual disciplines increasingly important to you?
8. Do you still grieve over sin?
9. Are you a quicker forgiver?
10. Do you yearn for heaven and to be with Jesus?



Thanks for stopping by . . . 
pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...