Living Life to the Fullest!

When Jesus Christ was on this earth, he made the following statement: "I came that they (he is talking about his sheep) may have life and have it abundantly." So what does it mean to have life "abundantly?"  As I reflected on that .... I recalled one of the daily readings in the excellent devotional book, The J.I. Packer Classic Collection: Daily Readings for Your Spiritual Journey.   The title of this particular reading is "Willing One Thing." In the reading he makes reference to the greatest commandment .... "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind" (Matthew 22:37). He goes on to state that loving God with everything we have got is what purity of heart is all about. And since those who are pure in heart will see God (Matthew 5:8), then learning what it means to love God to the utmost is the path we must travel to enjoy the abundant life! (what could make life more abundant than a living, growing, vibrant relationship with the God who made us and sustains us?)  SOOO ... what does this journey look like?  Here's Packer's take (and it's a good one!): 


"It is a matter of saying and meaning what the psalmist said: "There is nothing on earth that I desire besides you" (Psalm 73:25) - nothing, that is, that I would not consent to lose if adhering to God required it. Thus, it is a matter of wanting and valuing "fellowship . . . with the Father and with his Son Jesus Christ" (1 John 1:3) more than I want or value anything else in this world. And it is a matter of making knowing and loving and pleasing and praising God my life task, and of seeking to lead others into the same God-glorifying life pattern." (J.I. Classic Collection, p. 47). 


Hmm . . . boy do I have a looooonnnnggg way to go! But praise God, God himself in the person of his Holy Spirit will be helping me along the way! 


Thanks for stopping by . . . 
pj 

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...