Thinking Theologically about Patriotism

Every time a patriotic holiday comes around (in particular Memorial Day and Independence Day), I struggle somewhat with the patriotism shown in evangelical churches. Now don't get me wrong ... I consider myself an American patriot. I make it a priority to vote in elections (and to do so as an informed voter). I pray for the President as well as other leaders in our governments. I love to sing along as the national anthem is sung at baseball games (often, I am sure to the annoyance of some around me). When given the chance, I still recite the Pledge of Allegiance with gusto. And during the summer and winter Olympic Games ... I chant "USA! USA!" along with the crowd when an American athlete wins a gold! But ... I think all of us patriots who are Christians need a good reminder from time to time that our primary citizenship is NOT in the United States of America. It is in HEAVEN (see Philippians 3:20). We are NOT American Christians ... we are Christian Americans. And one day ... when we arrive in heaven ... we will be singing a lot of songs with people from every nation ... songs that glorify God ... not the United States.

I encourage you to take a moment and read Kevin DeYoung's insightful comments about Memorial Day and patriotism and its rightful place in the church. 

Have a great Memorial holiday ... and don't forget to thank God for those who have given their lives so that we can enjoy the freedom we have here in the U.S.! AND take a moment to thank God for the One who gave HIS life for us to purchase for us a freedom that will last FOREVER!

Thanks for stopping by . . .
pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...