Fifty One Years Ago Yesterday . . .

It was 51 years ago yesterday that my parents were UNEXPECTEDLY doubly blessed. Yep. March 12, 1956. That was the day that my brother Jim entered the Smith family, followed 8 1/2 minutes later by yours truly. Now I said my parents were unexpectedly doubly blessed. You see, my parents had NO IDEA they were going to come home from the hospital with two babies! But that is exactly what happened. So two older sisters who were hoping for a baby brother got two (and it wasn't a buy one get one special, either)!

Birthdays are a usually a lot of fun. For me, it meant getting together with family. I had breakfast with my sister and her daughter (whom we did not get to see over the holidays due to our ministry trip to Europe) and supper with my immediate family. It was a wonderful day!

Birthdays can also be a good time of year to evaluate where we are in life. None of us do this enough. The Greek philosopher Plato once said that the unexamined life is not worth living. A great insight on his part. Let me suggest you do something the next time your birthday rolls around (and given enough time it surely will!). Set aside some time the week of your birthday and do a self evaluation. If you want a tool that will help, go to the following web address: http://biblicalspirituality.org/newyear.html. There you will find a list of questions to ask yourself about yourself. A great exercise that will help you to move forward in your journey of grace! I plan to work through this list later this week. I hope I am better for it.

Thanks for listening,

An older (and I trust, wiser) pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...