God, the Master Craftsman Is Still Working on His Masterpieces!


Just before and during my engagement to my wife, Sharon, I was working a part-time job for a jeweler on Samson Street in Philadelphia. The block of Samson Street where my boss had his jewelry shop was known as "Jeweler's Row." So of course, when it came time to buy my wife's diamond and then our wedding bands, I bought them from my boss. The great discount he gave me was a real help considering I was a poor struggling college student at the time. I just wish the greatness of his craftsmanship would have matched the generosity of his discount!

Approximately a year and a half into our marriage (or about 3 years since I had given my wife her diamond ring), we spent an afternoon at a state park in Bucks County, PA. Upon returning to our apartment, my wife discovered that the diamond in her engagement ring was no longer in its setting. Two hours later, after searching high and low (and EVERYWHERE in between), we came to the sad (very sad) and gut-wrenching conclusion that it was lost forever! And time proved that we were right! OK. You can't take a diamond to heaven with you! But then, a few years later, Sharon's wedding band cracked ... and eventually broke in two! To have said I was a bit upset with my former jeweler employer would have been a gross understatement! When I went to look him up - his store was sporting a new name. Seems he sold out (I guess I wasn't his only dissatisfied customer!). On our limited budget, Sharon had to content herself with wearing an inexpensive band that I picked up for her.

In a little over a month, Sharon and I will celebrate our 29th wedding anniversary. I figured it was about time to get her a proper wedding band. So last week, I took Sharon out shopping. After stopping at a half dozen or so jewelry stores, her eyes spotted THE ring! And yesterday, we picked it up! She is delighted. I am delighted that she is delighted!

As I reminisce about this, I am reminded of God. Unlike my old jeweler boss, God isn't shoddy in his work. He is the master craftsman and we are his workmanship (Ephesians 2:10). God is busy shaping and honing us into the image of his Son (Romans 8:28-29). Aren't you glad the work that he began in you he will FINISH (Philippians 1:6)! And when God finishes with you - oh, what a masterpiece you will be!

Thanks for listening,

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...