Living Life Naturally or Supernaturally?


The other day as I sat at my desk, I took a glance out of my office window. I spotted two cardinals, one a bright red male, the other a duller reddish brown female. They were gathering materials to build a nest. Hmm. Where did they learn to do this? Did they take a course in birdie school, "Nest-Building 101?" Did they become apprentice nest-builders and learn from a master? Or perhaps they took out a do-it-your self book from the local bird library. Or maybe they were just "winging" it!
The reality is that these cardinals were doing what their instincts were telling them to do. It is as natural for cardinals to build nests as it is for you and me to breathe. Just as we don't really have to "learn" how to breath and think about doing it - neither do cardinals have to learn how to build nests and really think about doing it! Every spring it just comes naturally for cardinals (and other birds) to go into the nest-building mode.
Unfortunately, what comes naturally to human beings are things like selfishness, lust, anger, bitterness, pride, laziness, etc. So as Christ-followers we must seek to live out our lives - not by doing what comes naturally, but rather by doing what comes supernaturally. This will take a lot of effort on our part, and also dependence upon God's grace and God's Spirit.
Let me encourage you to get more intentional about your life. Seek to live a supernatural life by knowing the Word of God, obeying the Word of God and asking God to fill you with HIS Spirit.
Thanks for listening,

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...