Do Cows Have a Built-in Compass?

A team of German and Czech researchers who have studied satellite photos of thousands of cows around the world, believe that cattle have some sort of built-in compass. The reason for their conclusion: approximately 2/3 of all the cattle examined had their bodies aligned in a north-south orientation. They point out that this would not be the expected norm if cattle were totally random in their body's directional orientation. I am still trying to figure the "so what!" about this research (perhaps it shows that researchers have too much time on their hands and they should mooooooooooove on to other more pressing research!).

As I thought about this ... I thought of those of us who claim to be following Jesus Christ. Now I don't know if cows are truly aligning their bodies due to some sort of built-in compass. But I do know that Christians must learn to align their lives according to a compass that should be "built-in." And to what built-in compass am I referring? Please read and reflect on the following words of Joseph Stowell, in his book Eternity, Reclaiming a Passion for What Endures:

"Eternity is primary. Heaven must become our first and ultimate point of reference. We are built for it, redeemed for it, and on our way to it. Success demands that we see and respond to NOW in the light of THEN." (p. 27)

Joe Stowell is right on! We must learn to align our lives with eternity not just on the back burner - but front and center. Sometime scan through the gospels and look to see if Jesus ever thought about eternity. If you do this, you will see that Jesus was focused on eternity. And why not? It is His home - and it is our true home, too. Now I know someone reading this might be thinking "If we are too heavenly minded we will be no earthly good." That could be true ... but as I look at my life and the lives of most of the Christians I know - the opposite danger is probably more of a threat. Most of us are too earthly minded to be of any heavenly good!

Thanks for stopping by . . .

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...