Hurry Up!

Our society seems to know one speed: FAST! My day often runs from one meeting to the next, one phone call to the next, one email to the next. As I write this, I am tired. And I know I am not alone! "HURRY UP!" is what our world screams at us day in and day out, 24/7/365. If I could only wear ear plugs!

In the foreward to Donald Whitney's excellent book, Simplify Your Life: Spiritual Disciplines for the Overwhelmed, Richard A. Swenson writes the following insightful and compelling assessment of our day:

"Do more and more with less and less - and do it faster and faster. This is the oft-heard management strategy in our profusely overloaded age. But what would Jesus think? Can you imagine Him flying past the blind beggar, sweat dripping off his brow, yelling at his lagging disciples because they were twenty minutes late for the Jericho prayer breakfast? How would He respond if cell phones when off within the assembled crowds as the Sermon on the Mount? Jesus had little tolerance for clutter or complexity. Simply put, he would not be distracted from His mission."

I believe all of us could profit by striving to simplify our spiritual lives. All too often, God's voice gets drowned out in all the noise of our revved up lives! If you want some help in this area, check out Whitney's book or go to his website where you can view and download sample chapters from his book (http://www.spiritualdisciplines.org/articles.html#sample).

Oh, God, save me from the speed around me and bring me to some quiet space in YOU!

Thanks for stopping by . . .

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...