A Lesson from The Family Circus

Even though I subscribe to the local evening paper and the local Sunday paper, I don't often read the comics. However, that does not mean I don't enjoy reading them on occasion. One of my favorites is the comic strip by Bill Keane, The Family Circus. One reason I enjoy it so much is because it is so true to family life and raising kids. Often through the years I could find myself smiling in agreement with Keane's take on family life. In addition, I have enjoyed it because the creator manifested such a "keane" sense of humor! I could almost always count on a good chuckle as I read the latest exploits of this comic strip family.

In one of The Family Circus cartoons, little Billy and his younger brother are watching squirrels scampering about gathering acorns from the ground. Billy says to his brother, "Look at those squirrels. They’re real busy and they have nuttin’ to do!” (pretty punny statement, eh?!!?)

How many of us are real busy doing “nuttin?” We scurry from one activity to the next while accomplishing little if anything for God and His Kingdom. I encourage you to take some time out and evaluate your life. Time is too valuable a resource to waste. Let’s seize the moment and live it for Jesus! Before your time of evaluation pray these words: “So teach us to number our days that we may get a heart of wisdom” (Psalm 90:12).

Carpe Diem (Seize the Day!) . . .

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...