Going for the Gold!

Every time the Olympics rolls around ... either the Summer or Winter Games ... I thoroughly enjoy watching them. This year has been no exception (which is the reason I've been feeling tired this week .... too much "Late Night with Michael Phelps!). I have been amazed as I have watched Phelps and others. There speed, endurance, and skills have been so very cool to watch (like how you do a flip and land on your feet on the balance beam - that takes an awful lot of practice!!!). And that it indeed the key to these athletes. They have taken their God-given talents and with hours and hours and hours over years -- have sharpened and honed that talent to the level where they can "go for the gold."

All this reminds me of the following words of the Apostle Paul:

"Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize" (1 Corinthians 9:25-27).

Look at these words again ... "They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever." A few years from now ... few of us will remember who won this swimming event or that diving event. But that does not stop these athletes from all the training that they have to put in. Yet we as Christians are striving for a crown that will last FOREVER! So how are you doing? Willing to "discipline yourself godliness" - even if it hurts? (1 Timothy 4:7-8)

Thanks for stopping by . . .

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...