Is Being Broken Ever a Good Thing?

Recently, a few people I know have suffered broken bones. In the fifty plus years of my life I am glad I can say I have never broken a bone. Broken bones are rarely a good thing. And if we talk about other things that can break, like washer machines or computers or lawn mowers or cars - broken things are rarely if ever a good thing. So while most brokenness cannot be said to be good - there is one kind of brokenness that I see as being good and profitable. It is spiritual brokenness.

I don't know if you have ever had the opportunity to ride a horse. When I was in high school, a friend of mine had several horses and I was able to go riding quite a bit. Most times the horse I rode was very gentle and responsive to instruction. Once, though, he was startled by the wind blowing something across the path and he took off at a full gallop. "Whoa Nellie!" I cried, as I clung to the horse's mane for all I was worth! Now the reason that this particular horse was so gentle and responsive (99% of the time!) - was due to the fact that at some point in his past he had been "broken." Today there are a number of different methods used to break a horse - but whatever the method, it must be done. Horses must be trained (some prefer this word "train" to the word "break") to a point that they are willing to submit to a rider.

In a similar way, we human beings must be "broken." We must get to the point where we are willing to submit ourselves to another and the "another" in this case is God. We all are born into this world as "independent spirits." As Isaiah the prophet reminds us, "All we like sheep have gone astray; each of us has turned to his OWN way" (Isaiah 53:6). We must admit to our independent streak rooted in pride and arrogance and turn from it and turn to God, willing to say to Him, "Here I am Lord, use me!"

How about YOU? Have you been broken yet? Or is your life still a life marked by pride and an arrogant independent attitude? (If you want to use a great tool to help you in assessing whether you are a proud or broken person, check out the following helpful download from Nancy DeMoss: http://www.reviveourhearts.com/pdf/uploads/TheHeartGodRevives.pdf.)

"O God, break us of our pride and arrogance. Help us to humble ourselves before you!"



Thanks for stopping by . . .

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...