"I Will Come Back!"

I'm not a HUGE movie fan. But that does not mean I don't enjoy a good film from time to time. Now there are some genres of movies that I really do enjoy. One of which would be the Superhero movies that herald the exploits of Spiderman, Batman, Superman and the like. I also enjoy watching fantasy films (such as the Lord of the Rings and the Chronicles of Narnia). And one of my deep dark secrets is that I occasionally will sit down with my wife and watch a " " flick (now if I fill in the blank - it won't be a deep dark secret anymore, will it?!). Each of these movie types all have something common to them (for example in the superhero films - there is always the super villian; in the the fantasy - it's always a battle of good vs. evil). Now I have also been known to watch a war movie here and there. And one scene that is often common in war movies looks like this: The film's hero is preparing to go off to war. But before he goes he has to say goodbye to his girl. So they embrace, they kiss. And (you can almost always count on this) the departing soldier's woman tearfully looks at him and in a voice cracking with emotion says to him, "Promise me you'll come back!" And he, wanting to reassure and comfort his sweetheart says with all the confidence he can muster, "I'll come back! I promise!"

Now -- think about that promise. Can he truly back up this promise. Can he make that promise with 100% certainty that he WILL come back? Not unless he goes AWOL until the war is over - or he has superhero abilities to dodge bullets or impose an invisible force field around himself. So he may want to come back -- but his return is far from certain.

Jesus Christ has made us a promise. Some 2000 years ago, just before he departed planet earth - he promised those he loved that he would be back. Here's what he said,

"Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am" (John 14:1-3).

Unlike the warrior going off to war and an uncertain fate - Jesus went off to heaven and will return. How do we know? Because Jesus is God. And being God he is King of the Universe and neither nothing nor no one can prevent his return! So if Jesus is coming back, are you ready to meet him?

Thanks for stopping by ...

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...