The Power of O (Oprah, that is!)

In 1999, Eckart Tolle published his book, The Power of Now. The premise of his book? Living in the now is the truest path to happiness and enlightenment. Hmm. I think Jesus might beg to differ. (as if the Lord of the Universe would beg - wrong choice of words, John!) .... Let me begin again. I think Jesus would disagree in no uncertain terms. The truest path to happiness and enlightenment is to submit to the Lordship of Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ alone is worthy of our allegiance and only HE has the key to the abundant life! Tolle's emphasis is nothing more than new age spirituality - which is totally different from biblical spirituality.

Well, Tolle followed up The Power of Now with another book in 2005. This book, titled A New Earth, only became a bestseller in 2008. Why a three year delay between publication and making the best seller list? A New Earth only became a bestseller when Oprah Winfrey (January 30, 2008) made it a selection of her million member book club. Once Oprah did that, sales of the book skyrocketed! Apparently for many people, Oprah's endorsement is all it takes! And that, my friend is power!

Just yesterday I received an email from someone who is concerned about the influence this book, A New Earth is having on people. So I did a little research, and found a solid biblically grounded review of the book by Don Whitney. You can read it at http://biblicalspirituality.org/newearth.html. What concerns me about this book and other bestsellers like The Shack (see my August 5, 2008 posting) is that many Christians read these books with little biblical discernment. As followers of Jesus, we MUST learn to discern, using the Bible as our compass for morality, theology and all of life's pressing issues!

Thanks for stopping by . . .

pj

2 comments:

Terry Jacobs said...

I agree that we need to watch for the subtle new age teaching that can come our way. It is slid in among other truths and we must be very careful.

I do not agree in listing the "Shack" with this article though. I have read the book and saw the interview with the author. Charisma Magazine produces a column called the Strang Report which did an excellent article on the Shack. The writer is writing out of his hurt and experiences in his life and his journey in wrestling with God through those difficult years. The author is not trying to set forth doctrine or provide a book to teach out of. It must be read with this understanding. The book will challenge the religious spirit that exists in many us and open up a fresh understanding of the possible interaction that exists between the members of the Godhead.

It is not a new age book and I have recommended it to my congregation with this understanding.

Terry Jacobs.

Pastor John said...

Thanks, Terry for your note. Concerning The Shack, what concerns me is that people read the book not for what it is - a piece of fiction (as you so note). It may not be the author's intent to teach doctrine ... but that is exactly what he has done. I hope you take time to read Tim Chillas' review on the book ... and also check out Mark Driscoll's comments about the book's presentation of the Trinity. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK65Jfny70Y)

Yes, the author may have had good intentions in writing the book, but I find it difficult to see how this book would lead anyone to the one true and living God.

pj

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...