Back in Town with Some Random Thoughts


Our English word, vacation, comes from the Latin root, vacare meaning “to be empty.” The idea is that while you are on vacation ... your office or place at work is EMPTY! Well I just got back to my empty office to the work that has accumulated in my absence. Before I begin to tackle the pile of emails and emails, meetings and visits that awaits my attention, I want to share some random thoughts on my vacation.

1. Vacations are a great time to work on family relationships. This past week, my wife and I spent some very special time with our adult kids and their spouses, along with our two grandchildren. It was a great time for us to reconnect. It was also wonderful to get to know our grand baby and our step grandson better. My wife commented to me just yesterday how much her love grew for these two children as a result of our time together. Spending quality time together with others will tend to do this!

2. Vacations are also a great time to work on our "God" relationship. With the press of my schedule removed, it was easy for me to see just how much I allow my "busyness" to crowd out time spent with God. So I return to my schedule, determined to make my relationship with God (and my alone time with Him) a greater priority than it has been.

3. I stink at the game "Sorry!" I played my grandson 6 or 7 times and he beat me EVERY SINGLE TIME! I told him on Saturday that I wanted a rematch ... and he assured me that he would beat me again! And you know, he probably will (and he won't be a bit SORRY about doing so)!

4. Dorothy of the Wizard of Oz had it right when she said, "There's no place like home!" Even though Sharon and I felt sadness in our hearts as we pulled out of Ocean City (we were the last to leave), we both felt good about pulling into our driveway. Yes, vacations away are great - but our home is still our favorite place to be (And to think that our eternal home will be far better -- wow! Looking forward to my arrival there - in God's perfect timing, of course!)!

Thanks for stopping by . . .

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...