Some Thoughts on Marriage. . .


In just a little over three hours, I will be officiating a wedding in my back yard (we are hoping the showers hold off!). Just before I lead the couple through their vows, I will remind them of three words ... words that if they understand and build into their marriage ... they will have a great chance to experience some of the oneness that God the creator desires for husbands and wives (cf. Genesis 2:24 which reads, "For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh."). So for those of you who are married (or soon to be married), I thought I would share them with you as well.

- PRIORITY - If we are to get to a point in our marriages that we experience intimacy at the level God desires, then we must (read "ABSOLUTELY MUST!!!") make our relationship with our spouse the #2 priority of our lives - second only to our priority of our relationship with our God. Far too many marriages fail because the husband, the wife or both allow other priorities to usurp the place that their marriage should have in their scheme of priorities. Make your marriage the priority that it should be!

- SENSITIVITY - We will never experience anything close to marital "oneness" if we are not sensitive to one another as husband and wife. Husbands are told that they are to live with their wives in an "understanding way" (1 Peter 3:7). All too often, husbands (and wives) only understand one in their marriage - themselves. We all need to get our eyes off of our selves and commit ourselves to become students of our spouse!

- JESUS - Jesus must be at the center of the marriage relationship. He is the rock upon which we must build (see Matthew 7:24-27). When a husband and wife together go hard after Jesus, He will pull them together. You can count on it!

SOOO - How is your marriage today? I encourage you to ask yourself the following questions: Am I making my marriage the PRIORITY that it should be? Am I practicing SENSITIVITY toward my spouse - seeking to understand his or her needs and then do what I can to help meet those needs? And do we have a spiritual life together? A life in which we are pursuing Jesus Christ?

Thanks for stopping by . . .

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...