Forward or Backwards? Which Way Are You Going in Your Journey of Grace?


The emu is the largest bird native to Australia. It can reach a height of 6 1/2 feet. And like its cousin the better known ostrich, it too does not fly. Imagine ... birds that don't fly! But there is something else odd about this strange looking feathery bird -- the emu cannot walk backwards!

Now I don't know about you ... but when it comes to my spiritual journey of grace - I sure wish I could not walk backwards! But far too often it seems like I am taking a step or two backwards when I should be (and want to be) going forward! As I thought about why this is so, I came up with a short (not meant to be an exhaustive list) as to why this is so.

1. I can be lazy when it comes to my spiritual journey. For example, I know I should be interacting with the Scripture more than I do ... memorizing, reading, studying ... and of course, obeying - but I find excuses not to do so. Often times its just comes down to being lazy.

2. I can be busy ... busy with urgent things but not necessarily the important things. So something like intimate times of prayer with my Savior get crowded out of my schedule.

3. I can become apathetic. For whatever reason these seasons come my way from time to time. Seasons when my relationship with God seems dry and God himself seems distant. Certainly these times have nothing to do with God and everything to do with me.

4. And then there is sin. Sin is always the great divider. Whenever we allow sin in whatever form to fester in our souls, we will find ourselves going backwards in our walk with God.

So .... if you find yourself walking backwards (because unlike the emu - you can walk backwards in your spiritual journey), stop and seek to find the reason. Then do whatever you have to do to change direction (by the way, the biblical word for changing direction from moving backwards to forward is REPENTANCE).

Thanks for stopping by . . .

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...