Some Random Thoughts . . .


Now that I am back in the office after my trip to Columbus, Ohio (which was a great time for the board of Grace College and Seminary) ... here are some random thoughts for you to think about:

1. Saying "good bye" to a departed loved one is never "good bye" in a final sense for believers in Jesus Christ. This morning I will conduct my second funeral in the past nine days. This one, like the last, is for a wonderful woman who loved God and followed Jesus. So when her husband says his final "good bye" today at the cemetery, it will not be "good bye" in a final sense. For his wife is not dead - but alive! In fact, she is more alive than she has ever been! This woman lives because Jesus Christ lives and therefore can deliver on His promises to those who choose to believe and follow Him (see John 11:25-26; 14:1-4).

2. Time continues its relentless and rapid onward march! Friday evening I went to bed and fell asleep very quickly (driving almost 450 miles tends to tire a person out!). When I awoke on Saturday morning, I looked at the morning paper and was reminded that as I slept the month turned over from July to August. Questions flooded my mind. August? This is the final month of the summer? Where has the summer gone? And my trip to the Central African Republic is now only a few weeks away - will I be able to get everything done in time for this trip (PLEASE PRAY FOR ME!)? Friends, this rapid passing of time will continue. So be intentional and DON'T WASTE YOUR LIFE! (see Ephesians 5:15-16).

3. Older saints have a lot to offer those of us who are younger. When I drove out to Columbus, I did not drive alone. I took along with me an 88 year old member of the Grace board who happens to live here in Lancaster County. For much of our 14 hour drive I asked him questions and then I would listen to his stories. He had a lot to say ... and a lot of it was good stuff. Stuff that one learns from the trenches of life. And at 88, this man has been in a lot of trenches. In our fast paced, youth oriented culture, we can miss out on the wealth that exists in the lives of our senior population. If you have not done so lately, plan a visit with an older person. Ask them to tell you their story. You may just find some nuggets of truth that will help you as you live in the trenches today (see Psalm 71:18)!

Thanks for stopping by . . .

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...