An Idiom or an Idiot?


An idiom is a figure of speech that adds color to language. Some examples of American idioms would be shape up or ship out, to kick the bucket, a Monday morning quarterback, :) and my dogs are barking (I tend to use this one a lot in talking with my wife - because at the end of a busy day my feet are awfully tired!).

Another idiom we tend to use when referring to something that is very easy to do is the idiom, "it's like taking candy from a baby." This idiom came to mind when I read the morning paper the other day. Allegedly, a 23 year old man by the name of Walter Brown (now get ready for this one) stole a purse from a three year old! It all took place in a store in Wilmington, Delaware when the victim was standing in line with her aunt. Walter spotted the toddler with the purse and thought she would be "easy pickings." So he grabbed her purse and ran. Police eventually arrested him after someone identified him from a surveillance video. He has been charged with second degree robbery. Hmm. Certainly stealing a purse from a three year old is going to be easy -- but come on now, how many three year olds do you know that are carrying a wad of cash in their little purses? (I believe Walter got about $2 and change from his theft ... Oh, not to mention a possible prison sentence!).

Now as I thought of this incident, I thought - aren't we all a lot like Walter. We look for the easy way to get by in life. And as a result, the results aren't quite what we were looking for. My friends, if we truly want to experience all that God has in store for us, then we must work hard (or as Paul put it to Timothy, "discipline yourself for godliness" - 1 Timothy 4:7-8, see also 1 Corinthians 9:24-27). Don't seek the easy way! Remember, spiritual growth is not easy ... it is not like "taking candy from a baby." So ... determine today and everyday to do what it takes to become more like Jesus!

Thanks for stopping by . . .

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...