Monday Morning Quarterback!


With the NFL season fast approaching (YEA!!!!), Monday morning quarterbacks will be getting ready to do their thing. And just what is their thing? If their team loses, they will spend the day picking apart all the poor play calls that caused their team to lose the game. Of course, "Monday morning quarterbacking" is not merely confined to football. We are always "second guessing" decisions made by others ... whether it be our boss, our teachers, our parents, our friends ... and even once-in- awhile, ourselves.

So since today is Monday ... I thought I would do some "Monday morning quarterbacking" on yesterday's sermon. My topic was "What Jesus said about life priorities." As I explained to our church family, I prepared for the message by going through my red-letter New Testament (words of Jesus are printed in red) and read everything Jesus said. As I did, I looked for different things that he seemed to emphasize -- things that we need to make priorities in our lives. I came up with two lists. The first I labeled "Obvious Priorities." The other I labeled "Easily Overlooked Priorities." Here are the two lists:

Obvious Priorities: Love God, Love others, Impact world, Prayer, God's Word, Faith, and Humility.

Easily Overlooked Priorities: The Poor and Needy, Children, Personal Holiness, and Watching for the Return of Christ.

I challenged those present (and I challenge you who were not present) to take a hard look at the four easily overlooked priorities and ask the Spirit of God to reveal which of these four each of us needed to do some work on. My wife this morning asked me which one I thought I needed to work on ... I mentioned the second one - children. Given that so much of my ministry is focused on adults, I would like to reach out more than I am to kids. So that is something I need to pray about. How about YOU? Which of these priorities that Jesus taught are somewhat lacking in your life?

Thanks for stopping by . . .

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...