Sermon Rewind . . .


This summer we are going through a sermon series that I have titled, Jesus Said: What Jesus Said about You and the Important Matters of Life. This past Sunday's topic was, What Jesus Said about Money. Certainly we would all agree that money is an important matter of life. After all, most of us spend forty (or more) hours each week working for it ... and then much of the rest of our week spending it! And given the fundamental connection between what we think about and how we handle money AND our spiritual lives (check out the exchange between John the Baptist and the crowd to whom he was preaching in Luke 3 .... and the conversion experience of Zacchaeus in Luke 19 for evidence of this connection), we had BETTER know (and then obey) what Jesus had to say about money and possessions! I was challenged through my study of Jesus' teaching and I pray our church family was as well.

Below is a powerful quote (which I used on Sunday) from Randy Alcorn's book, The Treasure Principle. Please read it carefully and then evaluate your use of God's money (I say "God's money" because every penny you have is actually God's! He has simply loaned it to you!):

"The act of giving is a vivid reminder that it's all about God, not about us. It's saying I am not the point, HE is the point. HE does not exist for me. I exist for Him. God's money has a higher purpose than my affluence. Giving is a joyful surrender to a greater person and a greater agenda. Giving affirms Christ's lordship. It dethrones me and exalts Him. It breaks the chains of money that would enslave me."

Those are powerful words!

Thanks for stopping by . . .

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...