A Fast Start for the American Olympic Team

After three full days of the Winter Olympics, the United States Olympic team stands on top of the medal count. Will the U.S. remain on top when the Olympics are all said and done will have to be seen. But for now, we can enjoy the success of our athletes.

Now this success Olympic athletes enjoy does not come cheaply. These athletes have worked extremely hard to prepare for their respective events (I heard that one cross country skier actually logged thousands of miles on his skis preparing for the Olympic games). What motivates these men and women to make such sacrifice? It is their dream of Olympic gold! This is what drives them on, day after day, putting up with pain - so that one day they might gain a place on the medals podium!Yet, this moment in the spotlight does not last, does it?  The fame that comes with a gold medal is here today and gone tomorrow. We as followers of Christ are also in a race (see Hebrews 12:1-2). But the reward for winning our race is not momentary - it is eternal. The Apostle Paul puts it this way when he wrote the following to the church at Corinth (and I am convinced he was thinking of Olympic athletes among others):

"Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize."      (1 Corinthians 9:25-27). 

Take a moment and reread Paul's words. Then ask yourself, "Am I willing to follow Paul's example?"

Thanks for stopping by . . .

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...