A Few Questions to Ponder


Today as I start my work week (I usually take Monday off), I offer you a few questions to ponder.

1. If Americans are growing more spiritual, why is our culture becoming less moral? A recent report from the Princeton Religion Research Center was labeled with the headline, "Religion is Gaining Ground, but Morality is Losing Ground." The report showed that even though our society has seen an increase recently in church attendance and Bible reading there is, at the same time, a marked decline in morality (a quick look at a newspaper or an Internet news site will confirm this reality of a declining morality!). So what is the answer to this question? Philip Ryken, in his book, Written in Stone: The Ten Commandments and Today's Moral Crisis, offers this assesment:

"How can people be more interested in God and at the same time less willing to do what he says? The only explanation is that people do not know the God of the Bible, because if they did, they would recognize the absolute authority of his law. Respect for God always demands respect for his law. And whenever people have a low regard for God's law, as they do in our culture, it is ultimately because they have a low regard for God."

Ryken, I believe, hits the proverbial nail on the head!

2. Are we as a culture too obsessed with "safety?" Now that I am a grandparent, I have been reintroduced to the world of baby things. In this process I have been struck by how things have changed since my kids were babies and toddlers (some 26 plus years now). For one thing, most toys now require batteries (I am convinced that toy makers and battery manufacturers got together to conspire against the American parent!). But I am also amazed at how "safe" everything has become. So much so that I am amazed that I and my children even lived to adulthood! Now I am all about keeping my grand kids safe. But I just wonder ... have we gone overboard with this? For those of us who are Christ followers, we need to remember that it does not matter where we are or what we are doing ... our safety ultimately comes from the fact that we are in the sovereign God's hands - and He will keep us safe! (see Tuesday July 6th posting).

3. Why does Jesus love me? My wife and I taught our children the song, "Jesus Loves Me" and plan to teach it also to our grandchildren. But did you ever stop to wonder, "Why does Jesus love me (or you)?" The Scripture is clear that from God's perspective, there really is NOTHING loveable about us (just take a moment and read the opening verses of Ephesians 2 and you will see what I mean). Yet in spite of who I was, God chose to love me! Wow! That blows me away!

Thanks for stopping by . . .

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...