Joy in Serving Others!

Sharon and I arrived home last evening after an all-day drive from Cincinnati, Ohio. Was I ever glad to see our driveway! Dorothy was right - "There's no place like home!"

During our time at Celebrate 2010 (the national conference for our Fellowship of Grace Brethren Churches), Sharon and I enjoyed many aspects of the conference. The worship celebrations were just that - opportunities for celebrative worship and challenges from God's Word. It was also great to connect with other "Grace Brethren" people from around the world and to hear stories of God at work throughout our fellowship of churches.

On Saturday, Sharon and I took part in "We Care Miami Valley." This ministry initiative of serving included both the adults of Celebrate 2010 and the youth of Momentum 2010. We came together in the Dayton, Ohio area to serve churches and para church ministries. Sharon and I chose to come alongside of the ministry of the Dayton Vineyard Church in inner city Dayton. We did so because the youth of our church were also assigned to serve there (as were the youth of three other churches). As it turned out, Sharon and I served about three hours or so, painting in the kitchen of the Vineyard church (see photo). And the students we served with were not our students but teens from a Grace Brethren Church in Norwalk, CA!

Even though my body reminded me the next day of all the bending I had done on Saturday, I was so glad to be able to lend a hand where a hand was needed. And isn't that what God calls us to do? "You, my brothers, were called to be free. Do not use your freedom to indulge the sinful nature; rather, serve one another in love" (Galatians 5:13). Look for someone who needs a hand today .... and extend yours!

Thanks for stopping by . . .

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...