The Biggest Gainer!

The Biggest Loser has been one of the most popular television shows in recent years. The program features a number of very heavy people who all have one goal - to lose more weight (measured by the % of weight loss vs. their starting body weight) than the other contestants and thus win the title "The Biggest Loser" (not to mention the boat load of cash awarded to the winner). I have seen a few of these programs ... and it is amazing how much weight some of these contestants lose via hard work and a healthy diet.

Donna Simpson of New Jersey has no desire to appear on this show. In fact, her desire is to gain weight. Her goal? 1000 lbs! That's right -- a half ton! Currently Simpson weighs in at a "paltry" 600 lbs and is determined within 2 years of achieving her goal. Why? She simply wants to hold the record of the fattest woman in the world. To get there, she has to eat 12,000 calories a day and consume over $800 of groceries each week (that's over $40,000 per year just for food!).

I don't know about you, but when I think of this woman I feel both anger and pity. Anger that she would abuse her body in such a way and pity that she has such a zany whacky goal to begin with! Yet ... before pointing my finger at her --- I need to look in my own mirror. I am sure I have some zany and whacky goals that are out of sinc with God's goals. So all this to remind me (and if you are reading this ... you, too) that we all need to evaluate ourselves on a regular basis in the mirror of God's Word! (see James 1:22-25).

Thanks for stopping by . . .

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...