Stuffy, Boring Theology

I must admit there was a time in my life whenever I heard the words "doctrine" or "theology" I would break out in a case of spiritual hives. I mean the last thing I wanted to do was spend time reading some stuffy, boring theology textbook! But then I learned that my "theology allergy" was actually to my detriment. That in fact, the study of theology (theology simply means "the study of God") was extremely vital to the health and welfare of my soul. And I am not the only one who went through this learning curve.

In his new book, Dug Down Deep: Unearthing What I Believe and Why It Matters, Joshua Harris describes his journey in regards to the study of doctrine and theology:

"The irony of my story- and I suppose it often works this way - is that the very things I needed, even longed for in my relationship with God, were wrapped up in the very things I was so sure could do me no good. I didn't understand that such seemingly worn-out words like 'theology,' 'doctrine,' and 'orthodoxy' were the pathway to the mysterious, awe-filled experience of truly knowing the living Jesus Christ."

All of us ... if we truly desire to understand and know God (see Jeremiah 9:23-24 and John 17:3) ... need to go deeper into theology! Deeper into our study of the Living God. Starting on Sunday morning, January 2, 2011 - I will be leading our church family at Grace into GOING DEEPER into the fertile soil of rich biblical theology. Stay tuned for more details to come!

Thanks for stopping by . . .

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...