A Super Hero Role Model

"Hey Pizza Man!" The words caught me by surprise. I had not been called "Pizza Man" since June (when I played the role of Pizza Man in our Vacation Bible School). I turned around and there was a curly haired, smiling 5 year old girl who remembered my crazy ways as the Italian cuisine super hero. I must admit it warmed my heart.

As I reflected on this interaction with my five year old admirer, it reminded me of the important role we as adults must fulfill-- that of being an example to those of the younger generations. The Apostle Paul understood the value of being an example to others. Often he encouraged his "children" in the faith to imitate him as he imitated Christ (see 1 Corinthians 11:1 or Philippians 4:9). Children are always looking for role models to imitate. So ... let me ask you, what kind of role model are you? If children were to imitate your spiritual life ... would that be a good thing? If they were to mimic the way you talk or the way your treat others ... would they be better persons because of it? Always remember that there are little ones who are watching you. And most often sooner rather than later - your values, your mannerisms, your vocabulary, your standards will become theirs. I hope when that happens, Jesus will be pleased (because Jesus loves the little children! - see Mark 10:13-16).

Thanks for stopping by . . .

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...