Celebrate Thanksgiving Day tomorrow .... and Everyday!

Tomorrow is one of my favorite days of the year. I just love Thanksgiving Day. I love being with family .... the delicious food my wife prepares ... the time we pause and as a group offer up to God our heartfelt thanks. We have SO MUCH to be thankful for!

I must admit that I am probably not as thankful as I should and could be. Frankly put, every day should be THANKSGIVING DAY. Not only is the giving of thanks to God commanded of His people all throughout Scripture (Psalm 100:4-5; Philippians 4:6; Colossians 3:17; 1 Thessalonians 5:18), but consider the following comments concerning the importance of cultivating a grateful spirit:

"Cultivating a grateful heart is not just an add-on nicety, a civil tip of the hat to God as we steamroll through our day. A posture of purposeful, perpetual thanks to God is absolutely central to Christian character. It gives glory to Him. It is the key defense against Satan's temptations to despair, distrust, dysfunction. It protects us from sin and self. It is the hallmark of heaven. it does not exist in hell." (Ellen Vaughn, Radical Grattitude: Discovering Joy through Everyday Thankfulness, p. 51).

Thanks, Ellen! I for one needed that reminder of just how important it is to cultivate an attitude of gratitude!

Thanks for stopping by . . .

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...