Santa Has Arrived!

Usually I take Monday's off. I find that I can disengage from my work and ministry on Mondays better than any other day of the week. So it works well for me. This past Monday, my wife and I made a quick stop at Park City Mall. Walking through one of the department stores, I noted Christmas decorations were already up (and frankly did not think too much about it). Then when we arrived at the mall's center court, lo and behold who did I see? Santa Clause! I quickly looked at my watch to check the date (as I could not believe I was seeing who I was seeing!). There was a time when St. Nick did not show up at the mall until Thanksgiving weekend. But apparently no more. What's next? Santa in July????

Now I am guessing Santa's early arrival is all part of the mall's plan to get people in an early holiday buying mood. After all, retail establishments spend a lot of money and effort on marketing strategies, all designed to manipulate you and me (the consumer) into buying a lot of stuff that we don't really need with money we don't really have (often to impress people that we don't really like!).

As I got to thinking about this .... I got to thinking that far too often I am guilty of doing much the same thing. Manipulating others to get what I want! But that is not what I am supposed to be doing, is it. Jesus Christ calls me not to manipulate others to meet my needs, but rather to minister to others to meet their needs! (see Philippians 2:3-4; Galatians 5:13) And if you are a follower of Jesus, he calls you to do the same! So with that said, who are you going to serve today?

Thanks for stopping by . . .

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...