A Blast from the Past

Last evening, my wife and I spent some time viewing music video from the 1960's. Sharon knew far more of the words to these songs then I did, but that did not diminish the fun I had in reliving the "oldies!" One of the artists that we listened to was Lesley Gore. Gore (born Lesley Sue Goldstein; May 2, 1946) is an American Singer of the "girl group era". She is perhaps best known for her 1963 pop hit "It's My Party", which she recorded at the age of 16. Following the hit, she became one of the most recognized teen pop singers of the 1960s.


Another of her better known songs is the song, "You Don't Own Me!" She sings the song from the perspective of a girl forbidding her boyfriend from controlling her. As I watched her sing and listened to the words, I could not help but think that the song is something that fallen, sinful, rebellious man could (and in fact, does) sing to the God who made him. Take a moment and watch the video ... I think you will see just what I mean. And keep in mind that since we are "a work in progress," we still have this tendency with us. Which should concern us given the words of Isaiah 57:15: "For this is what the high and exalted One says— he who lives forever, whose name is holy: “I live in a high and holy place, but also with the one who is contrite and lowly in spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly and to revive the heart of the contrite." 






Sound familiar?????????????


Thanks for stopping by . . .

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...