Oh Summer, Where Did You Go?

When I glanced at my calendar this morning, I had to take a second look to be sure I saw the correct date. Yep. What I thought I saw was correct. Today is the final day of August. September begins in just over 12 hours. Where did the summer go?  It seems like it was just yesterday when I turned the calendar to reveal the month of June. Now ... very soon ... I will be doing the same to reveal September.

I don't know about you, but I happen to love summer. Even the hot, humid days don't get to me. I just love to get outdoors ... be outdoors ... no matter the activity. Now with the onset of September, I realize my "outdoor" time will soon be over. Christmas is now less than four months away.

Even though I am a bit disappointed about how quickly the summer "flew" by, I am not surprised. God tells us in James that we are "like a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes" (James 4:14). Hmm. My life is no more than a puff of steam pouring out of a boiling tea pot. Here one moment, gone the next! This is the picture James 4:14 uses to portray our lives. So true. Life is brief. Life moves quickly. Given this reality about our lives, we must beware of wasting our lives (as so many in culture do, engaging in the popular "game" of trivial pursuit). Instead, we must make the most of our time, giving our utmost for God's glory (1 Corinthians 10:31; Ephesians 5:15-16)!

So . . . how about YOU? As your life races by, are you making the most of your opportunities, striving to live for the glory of God's name, the advancement of HIS kingdom and the accomplishment of HIS will?

Thanks for stopping by . . .
pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...