Rain and the Word of God!

Robert Lee, Texas, population 1,171 was chosen in 1891 as the county seat for Coke County because of its plentiful water supply. Ironically, today the town's water supply could hardly be called "plentiful." The town's primary water source, Lake E.V.Spence normally covers some 22 square miles. Today, as the result of a severe drought facing this part of Texas (the worst since the 1950's), the lake looks more like a large mud hole than a lake. People here are praying .... and they are praying above all for rain (and after a month of 100 degree temperatures and less than an inch of rain ... they could use a couple of weeks of rain)!

Given the extreme drought facing this community in the Lone Star state, none of us are surprised to hear that the community of Robert Lee is praying and praying hard for rain. Rain is life-giving. Without an adequate supply, crops wither, soil hardens and life as we know it simply cannon survive (think Sahara Desert). Just as the earth needs rain ... so we as followers of Jesus Christ need "spiritual rain." In Isaiah 55:10-11, God likens His Word to rain:

"As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it. "


Every time you pick up the Bible and read it .... God says that His Word will not return to him empty, but he will use the Scripture in our lives to accomplish his purposes. Hmm. This brings a couple of questions to my mind:

1. How many of us (myself included), when we experience drought-like times in our spiritual lives, suffer these because we are not in the Scriptures on a regular (and by that I mean DAILY) basis?  Failure to read and meditate on the Word of God will short circuit the work God desires to do in our lives.

2. When I do open my Bible and spend time in it, do I keep in mind that what I am reading is not merely the words of human authors, but a divine author? Therefore do I view it as the ultimate authority in my life for what I believe and practice? Do I seek to "hear" God's Word and then put it into practice (see Matthew 7:24-27)?

Please take a moment or two to reflect on these questions ... and then make any necessary changes! "O God, rain on us!"

Thanks for stopping by . . .
pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...