I Want or I Need?

One of the many lessons that we are trying to teach our two year old granddaughter is the difference between wanting something or needing something (good luck, eh?!). Often while in a store, Ella will see something and say, "I need             "(pretzel, ball, ice cream, etc.). So we then respond in an attempt to help her distinguish between wanting and needing. At this point, I am not sure how much she is getting the distinction. But then again, I know many adults who do not understand the difference.

Given this highly consumeristic society in which we live, I am not surprised that people confuse "wants" with "needs." After all, every single commercial we see on television is designed to get us to spend money we don't have to buy something we don't need to impress people we don't like. As followers of Jesus Christ, we must learn to say "No!" to these enticements, and instead learn to be content with what God provides for us (Philippians 4:12-13). God has promised to meet all of our NEEDS (Philippians 4:19) not necessarily all of our wants.

So how are YOU doing with this? Have you learned to be content? Or are you always wanting just a little bit more?

Thanks for stopping by . . .

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...