Prayer Help!

In one of the better (I think!) books on prayer to be published in the last five years, co-authors J.I Packer and Carol Nystrom launch their book, Praying: Finding Our Way from Duty to Delight, with the following words:

"At the opening of this book, we invite our readers to pause a moment to ask yourselves honestly how you got on in prayer this week or first thing this morning. Our guess is that most of our readers are like us; we want to get things right, but we are more than a little embarrassed to admit how far-reaching are the problems we have in praying. We all need to pray, and we know it. We are told to pray, and we do not argue against doing so. In our  hearts we all want to pray, for we find in ourselves what we can only call an instinct to go to God for help and protection and comfort and encouragement, much as young children go to their parents for these things. Nor do any of us doubt that we are impoverished in all sorts of ways when we don't pray. So we keep on trying to pray, and we constantly look around for resources that will help us to pray better. It was this need that became the trigger and launch pad for this book on praying - and praying better" (emphasis is author's)

Wow! These two looked into my life and nailed me to the wall. They described me almost perfectly (and my guess to some degree or another, they described you, too!). 

This coming Sunday at Grace, we are beginning a four Sunday morning look at what I believe to be the most powerful passage in all of Scripture on prayer. It is the passage in which Jesus teaches his disciples HOW to pray. We know it as "The Lord's Prayer." So if you are available I hope you can join us for this upcoming and, I pray, life-changing mini-series on prayer (and you will be able to catch the audio on the Deeper 11 blog). 

Thanks for stopping by . . . 

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...