A Post from the Past

In the press of work that always awaits me once back in the office after a week away, I have not yet had time to write my first blog posting of the week. So I thought I would "resurrect" a posting from a couple of years ago. Enjoy!

Concerning Tuxedos . . . (first posted on November, 2008). 

From my recent wedding experiences in marrying off our daughters (not to mention my son's wedding in July of 2006), I learned a number of things about tuxes. First, they are expensive to rent (even with the discount I received as “father of the bride!”). In addition, they are quite warm. No matter the season (in my case it was summer and early fall) – tuxes have a way of maintaining body heat. Also I learned that they have a way of making a person look rather sharp (at least that’s what a lot of people told me – so either they were just trying to be nice, or they felt sorry for me – knowing I probably spent a lot on its rental – or they were being honest. I’ll opt for the latter!). All in all I’d have to say that my experiences with tuxedos (the first in some 28 years) – were far better than I had expected.

In our “dress-down” increasingly “casual” society, weddings are still one of those few times where people, for the most part, still “dress up.” I like that. I think it’s a good thing. When I scan the guests at weddings, I enjoy seeing people in their fine attire. There is coming a wedding banquet for followers of Jesus Christ. It will take place at some undisclosed date in the future. The Bible refers to it as the “Marriage Supper of the Lamb.” It is discussed in Revelation chapter 19. In verses 7 and 8 we read, “Let us rejoice and be glad and give him glory! For the wedding of the Lamb has come, and his bride has made herself ready. Fine linen, bright and clean, was given her to wear (Fine linen stands for the righteous acts of the saints.)"
Did you catch what was said about what we will be wearing to this tremendous celebration? We will be wearing fine linen – and this fine linen stands for our “righteous acts!” So I rented the tux I wore for my son’s wedding, but for THE SON’S wedding, I will be wearing attire that I make by myself for myself. And I am making it right NOW – in this life. Gulp! And this is true for every follower of Christ. So the question for me – and for YOU is this: How will we be dressed at the Marriage Supper of the Lamb? Rags? Scruffy tee shirt and ratty jeans? Or will we be in attire more fitting for a wedding celebration? It’s all up to YOU (and me!). Living for Jesus will weave for us attire appropriate for that occasion. So by God’s grace – let’s go live for HIM and get ready for the wedding to come!

Thanks for stopping by . . .
pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...